Royal Fontevraud Abbey
The Royal Fontevraud Abbey wishes you a warm welcome: a prestigious site of interest steeped in 900 years of history, home to the Royal necropolis of the Plantagenets (Eleanor of Aquitaine, Henri II, Richard the Lionheart, Isabelle of Angoulême).
Royal Fontevraud Abbey (CCO) BP 24-49 590 Fontevraud l'Abbaye
Tel.: 02 41 51 73 52 | Fax : 02 41 38 15 44
Listed as an historic monument, Brézé Chateau, first mentioned in the year 1060, converted in the 16th and 19th centuries, is now home to the descendants of the old Seigneurs. Regular plus underground troglodytic castle.
Tel.: 02 41 51 60 15
Fax: 02 41 51 65 15
Montsoreau Château is the only Loire château with its 'toes' in the water. It overhangs the confluent of the Vienne and the Loire rivers. Montsoreau lies mid-way between Saumur and Chinon.
SCER Montsoreau Château
49730 Montsoreau - France
Tel.: 02 41 67 12 60 or 06 11 42 12 43
Fax: 02 41 67 21 68
A noble troglodyte residence comprising reception rooms, dovecote and chapel built in the 16th century by the Seigneur de la Vignole, the resident of the manor, for his daughter. Unguided tours and chance to taste the renowned wines of the Domaine Filiatreau.
- 2 hectares of terraces and gardens, car park
- Heated troglodyte pool
- Fitness room
- Cycling, walks through the vineyards and along the Loire, fishing
- Troglodyte tour and sampling of Filiatreau wines
- Open-air activities, canoeing, Loire bike tours, tennis, 18-hole public golf course (St. Hilaire), forests
- Fontevraud Abbey (the largest in Europe)
- Troglodyte site tours, Beaten apples, Craftsmen's Village, Mushroom beds, Maupassant park
- Numerous wine-growers Saumur Champigny, Saumur Blanc and Crémant
- Horse-riding, merry-go-rounds and 'Cadre Noir' riding school
- Gourmet restaurants
Less than 25 km away
- The Western Loire valley region and its delightful villages
- Chinon, Ussé, Brissac, Montreuil Bellay, Azey le Rideau chateaux,
- Vineyards and wine cellars of Chinon, Bourgueil, Saint Nicolas de Bourgueil, Côtes du Layon